American Studies

Transitional Master's Degree

Brown University Ph.D. students receive a Master of Arts on the way to their doctorate.

American Studies students choose either the M.A. in American Studies or apply to another M.A. through Brown’s Open Graduate Education Program. Students applying to the American Studies Ph.D. program may indicate which Master's degree they are interested in pursuing in their personal statement.

M.A. in American Studies

Students will receive an M.A. in American Studies after passing eight courses, usually at the end of Year 1. In anticipation of good progress toward the degree, students should file petitions with the Graduate School in March in expectation of completing eight courses in Year 1. Those who don't complete eight courses in the first year, may petition in March of Year 2 to receive their M.A. at the end of Year 2.

More information